Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Our Benny

(This was a picture I had taken when we first brought Benny home. He had grown quite a bit before he died.)

I haven't posted in a while, been a wee bit preoccupied:) We are doing okay here at the Magic McCain's. We lost our sweet puppy this past weekend. We were at a friend's birthday party and he was hit by a car. We found him on our way home. A good Samaritan called and left us a message about sweet Benny. I called him back, it was a young man and he told me he had moved Benny from the road. I cried and told him thanks for caring for our dog. I have really taken this hard. I don't know if its a little postpartum kicking in (I developed PPD when Claire was 6 weeks old, and Brooke will be 7 weeks old on Friday.) I cried all weekend and felt forlorn all day yesterday. The girls took it okay, I'm not sure they realize the finality of his death. Claire really wasn't upset, in fact she just said we could get a new dog (she had a love/hate relationship with Benny, he liked to bite her dress tails). Lauren cried and had a little drama fit but other than that she has seemed okay. She may understand death, she knows about Heaven and maybe she does realize the finality of it all. Sometimes, I think, that I don't realize her comprehension and understanding of events in life. She probably understands just fine and is okay know thing Benny is in Heaven and is okay and one day we'll get to see him again. I, for one, miss looking out my kitchen window and seeing him playing with the torn up bouncy balls or throwing his rope around. I really loved him:( Mark reminds me, "Val, he was just a dog," but he was more than that. I guess this time around, since we picked him out and brought him home to us, I just knew that he would grow up with our girls and become a loving dog. I could look years down the road and see him being the protector of our girls, watching them play, I could see him doing the rounds with Mark. Just being our dog. I will definitely miss him, even him tearing down my clothes off the clothesline:)


1 comment:

  1. I'm SO sorry that you are taking this so hard, but I'm relieved to hear that Lauren and Claire are okay. One of the things that I hate to think of is Maggie & Ellie having to say goodbye to a pet...even if it's "just" Olivia. Hope you are okay.

    ReplyDelete